Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Americanise?

Yam - I heard this word for the first time not long ago. I think to myself Yam, what is this yam I hear speak of? And as it turns out yam is just an american word for what we Irish call a sweat potatoe. Yet the word yam stuck in my head and got me thinking.

In the supermarket I picked up one of these yams and examined it. My friend turned to me as I did this and said to me ' ha ha they have balls' and I laughed she wasn't wrong. I now became intrigued. I looked a little closer and noticed these yams have a harsh outter layer like a potatoes as the name suggests, but they are a lot softer. Later as I was pealing this yam I noticed it was infact much softer and much nicer to peal then harsh potatoes that grow in my land. Although they aren't as juicy...alas it does not matter because they are sweet.

As I was pealing this yam my mind begain to wonder as to where these yams came from, so I decided to ask him. I said 'Hello Mr Yam where do u come from?' But of course he is just a yam he could not answer. So my mind begain to wonder again and I pictured a sunny island in the middle of the sea with just one palm tree on it and this yam was sitting in a sun lounger beneath the tree,sipping a cocktail. I think prehaps the sun had gone to my head because it was one of those rare sunny days in Ireland. Later that day when the sun went down I did some reasearch and found that alot yams are grown in africa so my daydreams maybe where slighly off....
Anyway if you feel like a sweet flavoured genitille shaped vegtable (there are many) why not try a yam.

No comments:

Post a Comment