Friday, November 20, 2009

IDENTITY

I thought for my first post on the theme of identity I would look at artists who are easily recognised by either their art work or their look. So I'm going to look at Andy Warhol and Salvador Dali respectively.

Andy Warhol's prints are easily identifiable by almost anyone even people with little or no interest in art. He picked products from company's with well established identities. This I guess also took the elitism away from art and made people who ordinarily wouldn't look at art look at art.

I think although Warhol's work is easily identifiable he found it much harder to identify himself. Even going so far as to dress in drag. I feel in a lot of his self portraits he creates a feeling of mysterious artistness.




I like the image Salvador Dali created for himself. His moustache I feel gives him that crazy artist look. Which I think maybe he grew because he expects that people will expect him to look like because of the nature of his art work. I think his eyes have that crazy surreal cartoon look to them and that he plays this up in a lot of photos of himself. Sometimes I think it would have been far more surreal if he had looked really ordinary and slightly boring and then maybe people would have been surprised to see the work he created. But that's just me. I guess with out his 'look' he probably wouldn't have got the commercial success that he got.

No comments:

Post a Comment